Postdoc-Workshop: Self-marketing and networking, in person and in social media
Time: Mon–Tue, 27–28 June 2022, each 10.00 a.m.–5.00 p.m.
Location: Workshop in person at Ruhr-Universität Bochum (room tba.)
Target group: Postdocs of all research areas of the UA Ruhr Universities; max. 12 participants
Trainer: Kathrin Keune
Registration deadline: 13 June 2022
Contact for organizational questions: Dr. Ursula Justus (RUB Research School)
This seminar focuses on self-marketing strategies and professional performance in scientific settings such as international conferences or meetings with peers and other researchers. It aims at improving your individual performance by successfully communicating and discussing your research, your expertise and professional achievements in different scientific contexts. This workshop supports strategies in person and in social media networks.
First, the participants evaluate their professional skills and strategies so that a confident performance at conferences and meetings is backed-up with concrete achievements. Lessons learned from different steps in their career will be assessed and articulated. With the tool of the elevator pitch, they learn how to engage other people in a meaningful presentation of their own work, how to make them trust in their research expertise and ideas and how to discuss their research with confidence. We will develop and put into practice the elevator pitch.
Moreover, the participants identify a convincing and authentic style to increase visibility in the science community, for example in more unstructured settings like meetings, poster sessions or conference dinners. Moreover, strategies to increase one’s visibility online, in social networks will be discussed and practiced. Lastly, one’s physical appearance concerning body language and vocal expression are being developed to round up a professional and convincing self-presentation.
The workshop focuses on evaluating and testing skills in order to develop the individual style by providing necessary theoretical input, group work, active discussion and artsbased exercises. Thus, learning experiences are generated by engaging in problem-solving activities.
- Self-presentation & Career landscape: Assessment of personal development, strategies & career milestones.
- Framing research: Why should others be interested in me and my research?
- Elevator pitch to introduce professional work.
- Storyboard: How to present my research in a story-like form e.g. at a poster session or a conference dinner?
- Practicing a convincing performance in (un-)structured settings.
- Body language and self-confident appearance.
- Strategies to increase visibility online, in social media networks.
This workshop is particularly helpful for researchers who would like to explore their skills in a confidence-building environment, in which solutions are found for each individual style and character.
Kathrin Keune, coach and performing artist, holds a Master’s degree in Expressive Arts Therapy, Coaching and Education and earned a B.A. in the performing arts. She worked in a San Diego based medical research laboratory throughout her 6 year stay in Southern California, USA. Kathrin offered trainings on scientific presentation and communication at different American and German universities.
* In order to provide you with a comfortable registration process, we use registration forms of our service partner eveeno®. Please note the information on the allocation of places on the program overview page.